Thursday 18 October 2012

Autumn colours are coming through . A walk in the woods with the dogs and a camera .

Went out for a walk with the two dogs yesterday . We went to a woodalnd a few miles away from us , called Kings Wood in Heath & Reach, Bedfordshire .

I had been to this woodland a week previous and the Autumn colours were just starting to turn . The Oak's are still green as they seem to be the last to turn their leaves at the end of the season . It's not a huge woodland , or i don't think it is as i haven't really explored fully . But i have found a lovely curcuit walk which takes about an hr with the dogs . And a lot longer when you wander round with your camera !!!

The woodland is on quite sandy soil , so is still good to walk around when it has been raining . As the sand dries up quickly . But somehow the dogs still manage to find muddy puddles and stinky water to play in !!! I will never find where these puddles and stinky water are as the dogs dissapear for a while and come back covered !!

I do have a confession to make about going to this woodland for a walk with dogs and to take photos . I went the day before with the dogs and my camera bag . I had loaded up my backpack to make it easier to carry all my gear . When i was about a mile away from the carpark , i got this feeling that i had forgotten to do something . Then the light switch was switched and 'ping' i realised that i had left my memory card holder in the other bag !!!! But had a slight happy thought that the camera had a card in it . How wrong was i ???? So that day i had to walk around looking at the wonderful light and great photos , with my camera bag on my back and everything packed away !!! Hence the visit the following day , i returned armed with plenty of memoery cards ;-)

I bumped into another photographer when we had been walking for about ten minutes . And if like me you enjoy chatting with other camera enthusiasts ? I was stood chatting for around half an hr . We were visited by a couple of local ponies . One of which tried to get into my pockets for any food i might have . The dogs were very good and just played with each other , rather than annoy the horses .

So here are a small selection of my images from this walk . Hope you enjoy them as much as i enjoyed the second walk !!

 Mabel the Doberman amongst the grasses . Reduced the clarity to give this a softer look .
 Lovely long shadows .
 Tractor tracks in the mud . Where moss has now grown .

 Nice tree stump wit highlights on .
 Wonderful moss on the lower trunk of this mighty Oak .
 Loosing it's bark .
 Amazing colours on the Ferns .
 One of the cheeky Ponies who riffled through my pockets .
I am planning a trip to the Westonbirt Arboretum in the coming week . Weather pending , i will post some images if i do make it .
You can view more of my images on my website http://www.eternityimages.co.uk/Home.aspx

Cheers Mark .

3 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Excellent images Mark. A lovely woodland to walk through.
Myself and Trevor went in the summer searching for butterflies; had a great time.

The Herald said...

Super set of images Mark. I always enjoy my walks around Kings Wood it always provides some good photo opportunities as does Westonbirt (it gets a bit crowded at this time of year though!!)

I look forward to seeing some great images, Don't forget the memory cards!!...[;o)

Unknown said...

Thanks Guys , it's looking like i may not make it to Westonbirt !! So may have to stick to local woodlands for this year :-)