Monday 12 March 2012

What a weekend !!

Well , i have just about recovered from a busy weekend photographing various things . One being a family portrait for the Smith family , from Northants . This was Mum , Dad , Max the eldest and twin girls , Millie and Ellie .
Max was keen to get in front of the camera , so was my first subject .Ellie was ....... well just Ellie lol .She loves being in front of the camera and enjoys posing !!! Millie was a tad shy to start with .Thinking she had to just sit still and look pretty . Once Millie realised she could do her cartwheels , handstands and general gymnastics , to the sound of the shutter firing and my Elinchrom lights beeping away , confirming that they has actually fired , there was no stopping her !!!

When i realised my dream about going full time as a photographer , i thought that i would purchase equipment that makes life easy . Particularly in the studio area .As this wasn't an area that i had had lots of experience in . So within my set up budget , i purchase a Lastolite Hi Lite background . These are just fantastic !!!! Perfect white backgrounds for that clean look, are soooo simple . So if you are thinking of getting one of these , just do it !!!

All of the family were fantastic . Really relaxed , lots of smiles and made my job nice and easy . So it was a case of individual shots of all the children .Then group shots of the children , plus all the family together . Mum and Dad were happy to have some nice shots of just the two of them . Well , i say they were happy ...... Dad , Dave was really suffering from a hangover !!! So it would have been rude not to have made him crawl around on the floor , getting into strange poses ;-) .








Once the family portraits were done , i had booked in the son of a good friend for some portraits . Plus, Gordon, my friend wanted some doggie portraits done of his working Springer Spaniel , Daisy .
Sadly , Gordon couldnt make it , due to a very painful foot where a nasty Bunion had come up !!!

So , with about an hour to spare . As i had another dog booked in for some portraits . I managed to get my wife to bring Mabel , our puppy Doberman, over to me for some fun portraits . I will say that at 9 months of age ,she is doing really well at the sit and wait command . Mainly due to there being dried Liver treats on hand !!   Mabel sat and posed really well . I said to my wife that i wanted some photos of me and Mabel together . The only way to do this was to put the camera in the hands of my wife . Now , this isn't the easiest thing for her as she has to use crutches when going short distances . And a wheelchair for anything other than a distance of more that about 15 feet . I will say that she managed to do a fantastic job in capturing me and Mabel rolling around on the white train of the Hi Lite box . So far as in that she got a shot of me laughing and Mabel taking advantage of my wide open mouth and shoving her long tongue in my mouth !!!
After washing my mouth out , it was time for Mabel to go home and my next pooch to arrive for her sitting .

Jackie arrived with Izzy , her rescue Lurcher . Now , if you know Lurchers , they are a sight hound . And Izzy used her sight to see that one of the side doors was open !!! We then spent the next 20 mins chasing Izzy around the carpark , trying all sorts of tricks to lure her back . In the end it was a nice piece of cheese that did the job .

Once back inside , with the side door securely bolted , we got to work trying to get Izzy to sit in front of the camera . This wasn't as easy as i thought it would be . Being a rescue dog . Izzy can be a tad nervous when in unfamiliar surroundings . So it was out with the cheese again and this got Izzy doing as we wanted :-) Sadly , only for a short time as she was still a bit on the nervous side . So we didn't want to make her feel any worse .So called it a day .

Saturday evening was spent editing all the Smith family images . And i am still to do the two dog's photos . I am due to to go and see Jackie tomorrow for her to look through the images and decide which ones she wants printed . So , this evening will be taken up with editing Izzy images .

Sunday was fairly busy .As i had volunteered to go over to Jo's Grandmothers house and cut up a load of scrap wood for her to use as kindling for her open fire . Half way through i was told to stop and get ready to go out for a Chinese Buffet , which is an all you can eat type place . I see this as a challenge , not an offer !!! Several plates of hot food and a couple of plates of sweet puddings , i was full up and ready to get back to cutting the scrap wood .

I will put some of the Doggy pictures up when I have had a chance to go through them and select the best :-) 

They say never work with Children and Animals??? Well I throughly enjoyed my day photographing them :P

No comments: